Universal Analytics still processing data one month after ‘sunset’
Common Analytics remains to be processing information two months after Google suggested it will sundown.
Google had warned that everybody can be compelled to migrate over to Google Analytics 4 by July 1 or else they’d lose the flexibility to trace the efficiency of their web sites and campaigns.
Nonetheless, it’s now two months later and lots of entrepreneurs can nonetheless use their UA accounts as typical.
Why we care. The vast majority of entrepreneurs didn’t embrace the enforced migration to GA4 and lots of have discovered the brand new system tough to make use of with complaints raised around its user interface, a lag in information and information discrepancies. Having the ability to nonetheless monitor marketing campaign and web site efficiency in UA will come as an enormous aid to these which have been scuffling with GA4. Nonetheless, as tempting as it could be, it will be unwise for entrepreneurs to depend on UA for analytics functions because it may cease processing information at any minute.
What’s the most recent? Many search entrepreneurs and web site operators received email notifications from Google beginning round Aug. 22 that Common Analytics properties have stopped processing information. The e-mail learn, partially:
- “Your Common Analytics property [UA property number] has now stopped processing new information. All remaining Common Analytics customary properties will quickly cease processing new information. In the event you haven’t but, we encourage you to finish your transition to Google Analytics 4.”
In the meantime. Shopify’s official help channel was not too long ago requested by a marketer to touch upon when UA information would cease processing information on its service provider platform. A spokesperson stated on X:
- “Whereas the Common Analytics properties will not course of information on July 1st, retailers will nonetheless be capable of see UA experiences and historic information in the interim.”
- “We don’t have a set date on when the characteristic will probably be fully faraway from the admin. – Dirk.”
Phrase of warning. Though it does look like enterprise as typical for a lot of utilizing UA, a warning that began showing on the instrument in the beginning of the month remains to be there, warning customers emigrate to GA4. It reads:
- “This property is scheduled to cease processing information very quickly.”
- “Any conversions and audiences you employ with Google Advert campaigns will cease working.”
- “To keep away from severe disruption to your advertisements, e-book a free help session to to finish your transfer to Google Analytics 4 as we speak.”
UA sunsets for some. Whereas many entrepreneurs can nonetheless entry their information on UA, others have confirmed to Search Engine Land that their accounts have stopped processing information. James Brockbank, managing director of Digitaloft, informed us final month:
- “I can nonetheless see realtime for this UA property however it’s not monitoring information.
- “This has been displaying as 0 (identical throughout a couple of completely different websites’ properties) since midnight within the properties’ time zone.”
For entrepreneurs nonetheless utilizing UA versus GA4, it appears to be like as if their accounts could very effectively be on borrowed time.
Get the each day e-newsletter search entrepreneurs depend on.
What has Google stated? Google has confirmed that the sundown of UA has already begun however that properties are being eliminated in levels. All entry to UA will probably be fully be passed by July 1, 2024. The search engine confirmed on the Analytics Assist Middle:
- “Common Analytics properties will cease processing hits, together with customary properties in accounts that additionally include 360 properties beginning 1 July 2023.”
- “Some properties will proceed to course of information for a brief interval after this as we stage the shutdown of Common Analytics.”
- “You’ll entry your beforehand processed information in your Common Analytics property till July 1, 2024.”
- “Beginning on 1 July 2024, all customers, together with these accessing 360 properties, will lose entry to the Common Analytics person interface and API.”
- “We all know your information is necessary to you, and we suggest that you simply export your historic experiences earlier than this date.”
Deep dive: For extra info on the way to migrate to GA4, learn Google’s ‘Learn how to make the switch‘ information.