What It Is & How to Fix It
What Does ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Imply?
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS is an error message a browser returns when it fails to load webpage content material attributable to a redirect loop.
A redirect loop is when a requested web page redirects to a different web page. And the second web page redirects again to the unique web page. This creates an countless cycle of redirects.
Ultimately, the browser offers up loading the web page and returns a “too many redirects” error message.
This error is problematic for 2 causes:
1. It negatively impacts consumer expertise by slicing off entry to a webpage. Customers may go away your website, which suggests misplaced site visitors. And potential misplaced income for what you are promoting.
2. Search engine crawlers are trapped within the loop, so your pages aren’t crawled correctly. And in case your pages usually are not crawled and indexed, they received’t rank in engines like google and drive site visitors to your web site.
On this publish, we’ll discover the causes of the “too many redirects” error and learn how to repair it.
However first, let’s study what this error appears to be like like in several net browsers.
What Does the Too Many Redirects Error Look Like in Browsers?
Completely different browsers present the error in another way.
In Google Chrome, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error will present a message in the midst of the display: “This web page isn’t working. instance.com redirected you too many instances.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Chrome)
A button permits you to retry loading the web page.
In Firefox, you might even see a message in the midst of the display that claims, “The web page isn’t redirecting correctly.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Firefox)
And a button to attempt reloading the web page.
In Safari, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error message reads, “Safari Can’t Open the Web page.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Safari)
Not like Chrome and Firefox, Safari doesn’t provide a button for reloading the web page.
In case you’re utilizing Microsoft Edge, you’ll see this error message: “This web page isn’t working proper now.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Microsoft Edge)
A “Refresh” button permits you to attempt reloading the web page.
In Opera, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error will present this message: “This web page isn’t working. instance.com redirected you too many instances.”
(ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in Opera)
What Causes the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Error?
The ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error happens when a browser is caught in a loop of redirects making an attempt to load your webpage.
This will occur for a number of causes, together with the next:
- Browser cookies and cache points. Corrupted cookies and an outdated cache may trigger a redirect loop that results in the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.
- Misconfigured redirects. In case your new redirects battle with current ones, it may possibly trigger the error “too many redirects.”
- Points with third-party companies and plugins. Misconfigured third-party companies equivalent to content delivery networks (CDN) and the usage of outdated plugins may cause “too many redirects” points in your website.
- Incorrect HTTPS settings. A misconfigured safe sockets layer (SSL) certificates or HTTPS redirect guidelines can create “too many redirects” points.
- .htaccess file misconfiguration. If the .htaccess file, which is used to configure net server settings, has a defective variable, it may possibly result in the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in your web site.
Find out how to Determine ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS Errors on Your Web site
Manually figuring out ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error points in your web site generally is a time-consuming and tedious course of.
Semrush’s Site Audit instrument routinely scans your web site for redirect-related points. Like redirects chains and loops.
Begin by establishing a challenge in your web site.
Go to the Site Audit instrument. Enter your URL and click on “Begin Audit.”
The “Website Audit Settings” window will pop up. Right here, choose the variety of pages you wish to scan. Then click on “Begin Website Audit.”
As soon as the audit is full, navigate to the “Points” tab and seek for “redirect.” The instrument will present whether or not your website has redirect chains and loops.
If points exist, click on on the “X redirect chains and loops” to see the precise pages triggering these points.
You’ll see an inventory of URLs like this:
The “Why and learn how to repair it” hyperlink on the prime of the report can information you on fixing these points.
Notice: In case you run a big web site, schedule periodic audits to handle new redirect-related points.
To schedule audits, click on the cog icon within the prime right-hand nook. Scroll all the way down to the audit settings and click on “Schedule.”
Now you’ll be able to schedule weekly audits in your web site.
Find out how to Repair Too Many Redirects Errors?
The next are seven troubleshooting steps that can assist you repair the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error in your website.
The steps under apply to everybody, whatever the content material administration system (CMS) you utilize.
But when your web site runs on WordPress, there are some particular ideas that can assist you resolve the “too many redirects” error in your WordPress website. We’ll get into that, too.
Clear Your Browser Cache And Cookies
In some circumstances, the actual wrongdoer inflicting the “too many redirects” error may not be your web site, however your browser.
Your browser may include corrupted cookies and outdated cache. Which could set off the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS for you particularly. However not for the customers accessing your web site.
To verify whether or not that’s the case, attempt deleting the saved cache and cookies out of your browser. Right here’s how.
1. Click on the three dots on the prime right-hand nook of your browser and click on “Settings.”
2. In settings, choose “Privateness and Safety” from the sidebar and click on “Clear shopping information.”
3. Set your time vary to “All time,” uncheck “shopping historical past” and click on “Clear information.”
1. Click on the menu button on the prime right-hand nook of your browser and click on “Settings.”
2. In settings, choose “Privateness and Safety” from the sidebar. Then scroll all the way down to the “Cookies and Website Knowledge” part, and click on “Clear Knowledge.”
3. Click on “Clear.”
Clear Your WordPress Cache
Your browser isn’t the one place the place outdated cache can accumulate. Typically, the cache saved in your WordPress website may additionally trigger “too many redirects” points.
The caching plugin you’ve put in in your WordPress website will help you clear your web site’s cached information.
Right here’s learn how to clear cache utilizing two of the preferred WordPress caching plugins:
W3 Complete Cache plugin
1. Go to your WP admin dashboard.
2. Navigate to “Efficiency,” then “Dashboard.”
3. Click on “empty all caches.”
WP Tremendous Cache plugin
1. Go to your WP admin dashboard.
2. Navigate to “Settings” after which “WP Tremendous Cache.”
3. Scroll down and click on “Delete Cache” beneath the “Delete Cached Pages” part to take away all cached information.
Then, refresh your webpage to see whether or not the error is gone. If not, preserve studying.
Verify Your URL Settings
Misconfigured URL settings may cause ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS errors in your WordPress web site.
This occurs when your WordPress web site factors on the incorrect area, typically throughout a bunch migration or area change.
To deal with, go to “Settings” and find your “WordPress Handle (URL)” and “Website Handle (URL).”
Verify in the event that they match. In the event that they don’t, modify them to level on the appropriate area.
If each URLs match and the redirect error persists, examine for areas originally or finish of the URLs.
Verify Your Plugins
Typically, the redirects you implement utilizing WordPress plugins may battle with redirects that exist on the server stage.
Your plugins may be outdated or have corrupted information.
To check whether or not your plugins are inflicting issues, disable all of your plugins. Then, re-enable them one after the other to see which one is inflicting the issue.
Go to your WP admin dashboard and choose “Plugins” > “Put in plugins.”
Choose all of your plugins by checking the field within the prime left-hand nook.
Choose “Deactivate” from the “Bulk Actions” drop-down menu and click on “Apply.”
Now, refresh your website.
In case you don’t see the “too many redirects” error message, plugins have been creating the difficulty.
Activate every plugin one after the other. As you activate every plugin, reload your web site to see which plugin triggered the error.
When you establish the defective plugin, report the issue to the plugin assist crew. Or discover an alternate plugin with the identical performance.
Verify for SSL Certificates Points
SSL is a protocol to ascertain an encrypted connection between the server and the shopper. SSL certificates allow you to make use of hypertext switch protocol safe (HTTPS) in your web site.
HTTPS encrypts and protects information transmitted between the server and the browser. So when customers entry your web site, their information is secure from attackers.
In case you don’t set up an SSL certificates correctly or pressure HTTPS in your web site with out putting in an SSL certificates, your web site may set off the “too many redirects” error.
Use an SSL checker instrument equivalent to SSL Shopper to make sure your SSL certificates is put in correctly. And there aren’t any points with it.
Verify Third-Occasion Providers
A content material supply community (CDN) is an internet of geographically distributed servers that work collectively to ship content material to customers quicker and extra effectively.
In case you use Cloudflare as your CDN and your SSL is ready to Versatile, it may set off redirect loops in your website. Versatile mode forces your website to load over a safe HTTPS model once you’re technically unable to arrange an SSL certificates.
The one draw back is that it may possibly trigger redirect loops.
Sign up to your Cloudflare dashboard and choose your area.
Go to SSL/TLS.
Then, set the encryption mode to Full or Full (strict).
Disable Your .htaccess File
.htaccess is an enormous a part of what controls web page redirects. If some redirect guidelines are misconfigured or defective variables are current, it may trigger “too many redirects” error in your website.
You may disable your .htaccess file to verify whether or not it’s the wrongdoer of the redirect error.
Right here’s learn how to disable a .htaccess file.
1. Entry the WordPress information folder by going to your internet hosting supplier’s management panel. (We’re utilizing Bluehost for this walkthrough.) And click on “File Supervisor.”
2. Go to your root listing folder. The folder is often named “public_html,” “www,” “htdocs,” or “httpdocs.”
3. Discover the .htaccess file and proper click on on it to obtain it (in case you might want to restore it later).
4. Proper-click on the file once more, click on “Rename,” and rename it to “.htaccess_disabled.” This can disable the .htaccess file in your website.
5. Refresh your webpage to see whether or not it’s working. If it’s working, the .htaccess file triggered the error.
6. Then, right-click on the .htaccess file and click on “Edit.”
7. Overview the present configuration. Ensure the foundations are set to the default .htaccess configuration.
8. If the foundations don’t match, delete the present guidelines and paste these default guidelines:
# BEGIN WordPress
RewriteRule .* – [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%HTTP:Authorization]
RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
RewriteCond %REQUEST_FILENAME !-f
RewriteCond %REQUEST_FILENAME !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
# END WordPress
9. Save your file and rename the file again to .htaccess
If misconfigurations in your .htaccess file triggered the redirect error, this could resolve the difficulty.
Determine and Repair Redirect Errors with Semrush
Redirect-related points equivalent to redirects chains and loops may set off the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error.
Fixing these points as they pop up is tremendous necessary. And Semrush’s Site Audit instrument checks points together with your web site’s redirects.
Take a look at the Website Audit instrument right now.